WHAT IS MAHR (DOWRY) IN ISLAM?
- Islam has honored the women & given her the right of ownership & imposed on man to give her dowry as her due right to make her content on the right of her husband’s guardianship ever It is unlawful for anyone to take her dowry or part of it without her consent.
- It is recommended to ask light dowry & to name it in the There is greater Barakah in the women whose dowry is the least.
- Anything that is lawful to give as a price is lawful to give as a dowry, regardless how little it may There is no limit, however, to set as a maximum for dowry. It would also be valid as a dowry to teach his bride how to read the Quran.
- It is permissible to pay all or part of the dowry up front or defer it all, or part of it to a future. It is commanded to pay part of the dowry up front. But if a time has been slated to pay the dowry there is no harm that, otherwise, the bride may demand it either upon the husband’s death or divorce.
- It is acceptable for a father to give his daughter in marriage for a dowry equal to that of a girl her equal, or less.
- A woman possesses her dowry by virtue of the marriage contract & it becomes due to her in whole once her husband has gone into her or by being with her in
- If a man divorces his wife before cohabiting with her or before being with her in seclusion & has already named a dowry, she would be entitled to one half of that dowry unless she herself or her guardian waives
- If a man divorces the women before naming a dowry 7 cohabitation, a compensation becomes due to her, the amount of which depends on his financial But if a man divorces his wife after cohabitation be entitled to a woman her equal.
Written By: Shaheen Naaz.
Sources : ( www.whyislam.org)
DISCLAIMER: The articles and views posted on this blog are the opinions of individual authors only and as such may not reflect the opinions of Pious Couple staff, editors and readers. They are solely meant for educational purposes and not any illegal purpose. The authors/shuyookh are not responsible or liable for the intentional, reckless, or negligent actions of any individual. Any person who posts, quotes, cites, copies or otherwise relies on any article or comment associated in any way with Pious Couple blog bears sole responsibility for his or her actions, choices and words. While constructive criticism and meaningful discussions are welcome; abusive comments, name calling or intolerance towards other religions, race, sex, countries, etc., will not be entertained. Pious Couple reserves all rights to delete/edit any type of comment or discussion that is inappropriate Islamically, morally or otherwise.